So i realised that for my Adaptation i had missed an important step in my design process. i often find myself looking at a blank page and thinking lets do a part of the Environments section of the Project. This i have found pointless because every time i revisit the section i have found that the drawings and designs have lacked character and feeling. So that is the intention of this blog post, to get some ideas down and some story development, to give myself some focus and hopefully push in the right direction.
So to start with i will revisit my Pitch that i made at the start of the project, which in reflection is unfinished and could have been done a lot better in my opinion.
Game Pitch Ideas
My first idea revolved around the Legend of Robin Hood and the story would involve how he became the outlaw and started stealing from the rich to give to the poor.
My second idea was based on the tv series Stargate but would not follow the actions of earth or sg-1 but rather an alien planet that had humans inhabiting it, but at a much less technologically advanced stage than we are, possibly as early as 400 ad in comparison to human evolution.
I feel that my second idea was much better suited to me so i would be focusing my efforts on this, but my other idea is always there just in case.
So my first mistake in taking on this project is thinking that i can just start drawing everything, without making any story or setting, kinda hoping the game would just make itself out of the drawings i have done, this would never work and i realise this now, so i am going to now get down some ideas and make a story for my adaptation to follow.
I will just start by making a list actions and themes that could be involved in my game and then picking elements and creating a short couple of paragraphs detailing a section of a story for my adaptation to revolve around, this will give me a focus for my drawings and work.
- A Viking age village/town
- Small a few miles away from the base of the mountain
- Lead by an earl who has been given this title due to it being passed down in his family name
- His family earned this title by embarking on a dangerous journey through the mountain valley to visit the temple of the gods (Sticking with the typical stargate theme)
- Activate an altar (Left there by an alien race to monitor evolutionary progress of humans inhabiting planet)
- Retrieve a ceremonial item to symbolise divine right to lead the village (Weapon can only be activated by a person with a specific genetic marker)
- Ceremonial item is a beacon for the aliens to transport the person to their research facility and check their evolution, then send them back with the beacon to locate their village.
- If they have the specific genetic marker the beacon will act as a personal shield for the adventurer to protect themselves from the harsh conditions of the world
- It will prevent the holder from becoming hungry and keep them strong to claim the throne and lead that village
- Once the item has been brought back to the village, the earl must fight the returned adventurer to see who can claim the seat of the earl.
- Any person that undertakes this adventure can claim the seat of the earl, be it man woman or teen and they command the whole villages respect due to the amount of courage it takes to embark on this quest and how few actually return.
This is the basic structure of my story and could use some fleshing out and details in places, but i think i will focus my adaptation on the beginning of a characters quest to visit the temple of the gods and the recovering of the Item (Which needs defining)