We was given the second part of our mini brief and this part seems like it will be fun to tackle. The first part (Technically part 4) we have to use methods that we have looked at before to develop a name for our production company.
The method we have looked at can be found Here.
I set out making, what can only be described as, an epic list
You have column 1 which consists of Metals, Precious Stone, Flavours, Colours & Textures. Column 2 consists of Emotions, Animals, Weather/Geographical Events, Flowers, Weapons & Appendages. With this range of things i rolled some dice and used an online number generator Which can be found Here. Through this i had made another epic list of possible names for a production company
I underlined a few that i liked and ones that worked well, I just had to bear in mind that when doing this it is not to make a final name, this is just the process to go through to start and get things going. I chose the best of these and started putting ideas together by taking the words that where in that category and replacing them with the words in the name (If that makes sense)
For example i took Bloodstone Katana (which is about half way down the first column) and i began replacing Bloodstone with other precious stones and Katana with other weapons and made some more names to see if anything pops out at me. Nothing really did, but i liked Bloodstone Katana, however a friend pointed out it was a but of a mouthful, so i dropped the Bloodstone and decided to just stick with Katana, i instantly knew what style of type i would have for this but i hadn’t drawn anything up because i wanted to see if i could change it some more.
I did a quick sketch of the style of font i would like, long line that look sort of like cuts or as if someone had pushed a Katana through a piece of paper (A Katana is a single edged blade, so it will be thicker at one edge and thinner/sharper at the cutting edge)
I then found that the name Katana was taken by a company already, so i decided that i would stick to the theme of blades and in my research into type faces i discovered the Blackletter/Gothic Type and in some more research i found that around the time this type face was used (Roughly 1150 – 1600 don’t quote me on that,) this was through the medieval period and into the renaissance period, at the same time that long swords where being used (Long swords where used late Medieval into early Renaissance around 1350-1550) That gave me a name i was happy with LongSword, before i did any sketches i did some research to find out if this name had been take and to my knowledge it hasn’t.
These are my initial sketches into the design i want for my production company.
I will be performing a lot more research on this typeface style. Both of these where found on Dafont. A website that has lots of type faces and styles of type, it is a great place to find a style you like and allow that to be a starting point of your design. This is the link to Dafont.com
Katana Type face
LongSword Type face